North Coast 500 films

I just don’t have the time or the energy to make a film a day and write a blog, so I’m just going to post the links to the YouTube videos on here for now. Most films not available on mobile devices due to copyright restrictions but I think you can enjoy them all if you watch from within this page.

Episode 1:

Episode 2:

Episode 3:

Episode 4:

Episode 5:

Episode 6 (where I drone on and on and on):

Episode 7 (final, mercifully brief, episode):

Bonus clip, meeting Dot:

About the author: martyn

7 comments to “North Coast 500 films”

You can leave a reply or Trackback this post.

1. James Thomson - 21/01/2017 at 6:28 pm Reply

Hey Martin
    Thanks for sharing your NC500 film with us.
    Hold tight. Your camera can be fixed or lens replaced- the van door is a pain but accidents caused by the wind happen. It seems there is a design flaw with the Ford Custom door/wing. Heard of a few similar things so ask Ford to look at a warranty claim. It seems some have been accepted.
    The seat issue is a bit of a faff and Wellhouse should sort ok.
    Chin up and hope you got some grub.

2. martyn - 23/01/2017 at 2:06 pm Reply

Hi James. Thanks my friend. Wise words of encouragement much appreciated. Final installment being edited, so I won’t say any more until it’s posted. But things are definitely looking up!

3. martyn - 24/01/2017 at 9:20 am Reply

The van door is being repaired by Ford free of charge. As James says, there is a problem with Transit door hinges and they do bend too easily. Fanny the Tranny is being fixed today, Tuesday 24 January, and I expect her to be home tomorrow.

I’m not expecting Nikon to take responsibility for me letting a lens hit the ground with a thump.

4. James Thomson - 24/01/2017 at 7:54 pm Reply

Hey
    Loved your tale about Dot!
    Obviously a very clever lady moving to Bonny Scotland.
    What are the chances of that encounter – less than winning the lottery Martyn.
    Anyway thanks for your NC500 blog. Loved it – yes even your singing – by the way who were the band?
    I live in central Scotland and have a Terrier from Wellhouse too.
    Planning to do the NC500 with my wife in May 17.
    Hope you return to make your NC film.
    Every good wish
    James

• martyn - 30/01/2017 at 8:56 am Reply

Hi James

Thanks ever so much for your kind words. The band was Journey, you can just hear Steve Wright on Radio Two back announce them as I drive off the bridge. That was the song on the radio as I arrived back in Inverness and I thought it was very appropriate.

I love my Terrier, although my first year of ownership has not been without its challenges. The awning rattled and Wellhouse said: “We’ve got a fix for that now.” The side door panel rattles and Wellhouse has told me: “We’ve got a fix for that now.” You have heard the story of the rear seatbelts and the bed-folding. Yes, they’ve fixed that, too.

If you have a Terrier 2 you’ll be sorted. If it’s a Terrier 1 I hope you are more fortunate than me. Still, it’s a fantastic van.

Enjoy your trip in May. It’s an amazing route and remember to explore a bit off the beaten track.

5. Chris Porsz - 29/01/2017 at 5:01 pm Reply

Hi Martyn

I had not heard of the NC500 but it bought back fond memories from the early seventies when I hitched hiked to John O’ Groats, turned around and headed down to Lands End. I spent hours waiting for a lift and so much easier when I went with Lesley the following year.

Episode 5 was very eventful accompanied by great music. I felt your pain when you dropped the lens but you were still smiling until the door episode! Not quite my Funky Chicken but loved your Karaoke in Episode 7 and amazing coincidence meeting Dot. Relieved you survived the icy roads in one piece and a great idea to do a film one day.